Friday, December 09, 2016

One More Atkins

I got around to sharpening another of the Atkins panel saws last night. I've been on what some call a graveyard shift this week with a 0100 show and a 0800 finish. While in many ways it is my favorite line, no suits to put up with, time off during business hours so things can be taken care of, but it can be hell on your sleep pattern and motivation for shop projects.

As usual, when working the early AM line, about all that gets done is tool and shop maintenance.  My chisels lose a few years of life, saws get sharpened, planes get worked over and I "test" them. There is just something very enjoyable about making a piece of wood smaller with a hand plane, hearing the snick and seeing the shavings eject from the mouth of the plane with no goal other than hearing the snick and seeing the shavings eject.

Last night as I stumbled around the shop doing random clean up and placing tools back into their assigned storage spot I noticed a couple of Atkins panel saws that needed rehab. One was 16 TPI with "0" set and so dull it would cut soft butter, the other was 7 TPI crosscut with just enough set left you could, with help, figure out where to mark the teeth for setting and sharpening. You can guess which one I picked to sharpen.

It had a small "wave" in the tooth line which I for the most part worked out followed by setting, topping and shaping, there were a few cows and calfs. After a final sharpening pass and stoning the tooth line I took it to the wood. It did not disappoint, it sawed true and fast. I've gone from having only a "hard point" panel saw to now having two very good panel saws, one cross cut and one rip both with comfortable totes in addition to the hard point.

5 comments:

  1. Very satisfying getting those old tools to work for you. I'm still hunting for a rip panel saw. Maybe someone will come along willing to barter a chest full of old saws for a ride somewhere (sound familiar?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    As posted, the big hunkers are easy to find, panels not so much. Good luck on your hunt.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool and what you describes is pretty well my routine lately versus doing any meaningful projects...
    I promise myself i will hit the shop with a vengeance in the new year...

    Bob, with no shortage of rehabs candidates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    I'm using a different mouse and it is kicking my butt. If this is a double post, forgive. I was typing before the mouse decided to eat my post. whoops I have to run, out of time

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,

    Some way I lost an hour this afternoon and while I was posting to you I realized I had to run....Anyway on the the post that was lost. Mostly I said if I never made another major project it wouldn't bother me, I'd be perfectly happy just farting around in the shop, keeping it and the tools clean and sharp with maybe a small box or something like that made when the mood struck. That and scratching doggie butt.

    ken

    ReplyDelete