Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Shop Changes

In the never ending quest to fit 20 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb shop I will be moving stuff and changing work flow. The two big changes are going to be lowering the secondary bench 100mm (4" for Bob and other metric challenged folks) and then moving it off the wall to a place in front of the main bench. The secondary bench will become my stock prep bench and the primary bench will be used for joinery. With the repaired shoulder I need a lower bench for planing. I do not have enough strength or endurance to plane with my arms plus I'm using wood stock planes much more than before.

To make room the 8" joiner will be retired to a place along the back wall, maybe even into the tool room until it can be sold or disposed of in some way. If anyone would like a 8" joiner with a Bird head now is the time to speak up. It is FOB Tucson and I'm not interested in shipping unless someone wants to pay way more than the joiner is worth.

The bandsaw will move into the joiner slot or at least close to it. I'm not sure where the drill press will go but it is used too much to not have a good home. The 20" planer and the table saw are hard calls, I still use both on occasion. Could I do without? Yep, but for now they earn their space, kinda.

The tool chest will move to the right end of the two benches to ease tool access for the prep bench.

BTW, yesterday's lowering of the tool cabinet and plane till 100mm has really made a big difference in ease of work flow.

Photos once everything is in its new home.

10 comments:

  1. I can tell you my experience. The jointer is easy to do without and so is the table saw if you have a good bandsaw. The planer, not so much, unless you are a into a lot of hard work by hand. I'm keeping mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im With Andy, ditch the jointer (1st), tablesaw next ( if you keep the bandsaw). The planer i would not let go, its a big time saver.
    Drill press is a no brainer, must keep. Table saw....im keeping mine for now until i have to move to my next phase (retirement community etc)

    Bob, resolutely and proud to be metric challanged :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,

    I expect that is where I will end up. My band saw is 18" with, I think, a 2 HP motor. 220v anyway whatever the HP. so the table saw is I expect a short timer. The planer is used mostly for stock removal. If I do not need to remove a lot of thickness it is just about as easy to do it by hand.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    I'm fighting the retirement community. I had always figured when it was time I could pull a Thelma and Louise on the Wing but the motorcycle shop took that option away. Now in a Diesel Pusher....Hummmm, could be spectacular.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like going out with a wow factor and on my own terms. Retirement communities are not in my future hopefully. I would like to keep all my marbles in one bag till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Don't you mean 9.1 kg of stuff into a 2.3 kg shop?

    Jim B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog with interest, as I work in PT/OT and deal with a lot of cuff repairs. I admire the spirit to ditch some power tools right now, but vote to leave them be for the moment. Western hand tools are all shoulder strength and if I'm remembering right, you were worked on recently enough to keep babying that shoulder for the minute...
    Best of luck and all admiration for sticking to it! (both rehab and woodwork)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim,

    Damn, damn, damn.....Busted. BTW, LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ralph,

    I do worry, I can remember when I was pretty sharp, I can't say that anymore. Now the question is: Am I getting smarter and just now realize how dumb I am or am I losing it. I know which one I expect is true but maybe it is a little of both :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauris,

    Thanks for reading and the advice.

    I've tried to not over do....The last thing I want is a do over and starting the recovery process all over. That was one of the reasons I lowered the secondary bench, to get the surface lower where it was lower body providing the muscle instead of arms and shoulder.

    I'm staying with PT as long as I'm off work, once back on the job keeping a PT schedule can/will be problematic. That is the major reason I'm still on sick days. I've pretty much full range of motion but the Doc has warned that this is a danger time because of it feeling good but the tenon hasn't had time to fully heal. And boy is he right, it is really hard to not dive in with both feet.

    Thanks again,

    ken

    ReplyDelete