Wednesday, June 15, 2016

LN Replacement Iron Update

I've only the LN #8 left for iron replacement. I expect it will be done sometime but there ain't no hurry because it seldom comes off the wall. If I had a working brain cell it, the #8, would have been gone long ago. Metal jointers are just too big and heavy, after 15 or 20 minutes of slinging that sucker around the shop my body is crying no mas no mas where with one of my wood jointers I can work long enough to get something done and still function the next day.

Sorry for the digression, sometimes the fingers have a mind of their own. It is a pretty simple fix to route out the depth adjustment hole on the cap iron. I used a Drimel with a diamond bit taking just a small amount off before test fits. On most of the cap irons the fit was good after two or three tries.

I've worked the planes with the new irons and modified chip breakers and the feel is the same as a unmodified plane with LN iron. No more backlash than before, if you have LN planes and want to use other irons it is worth the trouble.

Here is a staged photo of my set up:


ken

4 comments:

  1. How is the mouth with the new setup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photo - I have a much better view of the fix now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph,

    It does not affect frog adjustment. Best I can tell if you go slow and just take off only what is needed the plane feels and works no different than one that is un-moded. The only difference is now you can pick the iron that is best for the job. For me it is win win of course as always with all things wood......YMMV.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    Sorry it had to be staged. Working the Drimel and the camera at the same time was more than I could do :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete