Monday, January 18, 2016

They Are Done

The fat lady has sung her song, the crops are in the field and the cows are in the barn. The grandpeanut's chair and table are finished and waiting for the UPS girl (BTW, did you ever see the photos of my UPS girl? Ah but I digress). To have a hope of getting the table and chair to Houston in time they had to be finished no later than Sunday night and someway somehow I made the deadline. Not too bad for my usual slower than a slug work pace plus dealing with an insane work schedule. I made the first cut January 3td and finished January 17th.  A couple of 16 hour shop days this weekend helped as did having most everything needed in the shop. I also think MsBubba could see the insane, driven look in my eyes. She cleared the deck and left me alone Saturday and Sunday.

Some of the design decisions were out of my hands. Such as the chunky legs and the "Chalk Board" paint on the top. I must say the black top works but I would still have liked the legs shaped to lighten the look.  Here are a couple of photos of the finished table and chair:


And one with them in "working" position:


Click 'em to big 'em.

The painted parts are Poplar with Red Pepper Milk paint on the stretchers and aprons and "Chalk Board" Latex paint on the table top. The chair and table legs are Beech finished with Danish Oil and the chair slats/seat is Cherry also finished with Danish Oil. All the joints are drawbored M/T as per my usual way none of the M/T joints are glued.  The only glued joints are the edge joints to form the table top. The seat slats are attached to the chair with Black Oxide "Highpoint" #10X1 round washer head screws with #2 Square Drive (sorry Bob). I wanted to use brass screws with slotted drive to attach the slats but couldn't find any in time to finish under the deadline. The table top is attached with mortice buttons using the same 'Highpoint" screws.

I'll deliver 'em to the UPS store this AM before going to work. After that they are out of my hands but I expect I'll tote the note for whatever it costs to have the table and chair in Houston in time for Levi's B-Day.

See you guys on down the road,

ken




6 comments:

  1. The fat lady sings a good song

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,
    after I had some trouble to figure out the idea at the beginning of the project I now have a very clear picture.
    This little furniture came out great. I guess the grandpenuts will be excited.
    Cheers,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys,

    Stefan you were not the only one having trouble figuring out the idea at the beginning of the project, I was in the same boat :-). It should arrive in Houston on Thursday, so we will see if he likes the table and chair or the box it came in..

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys,

    Stefan you were not the only one having trouble figuring out the idea at the beginning of the project, I was in the same boat :-). It should arrive in Houston on Thursday, so we will see if he likes the table and chair or the box it came in..

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Ken.
    Neat idea the chalk paint on the table top, practical.
    Now be a good Grand-Dad and give that kid some cans of spray paints to express himself artistically or graphitically :-)

    Bob, running and dodging "Sand balls", wearing the box as cover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,

    Thanks.

    It ain't the kid with paint I have to worry about. His Mom re-paints everything that comes through her door :-).

    Hey, it's been cold here, week before last it never got over the high 50's low 60's (15C for normal folks) all week.

    ken

    ReplyDelete