Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sometimes it is Best to Start Over

I've been working on the back side of the clock this week, standard schedule is a couple or three hours sleep, go to work, finish and come home early AM. putz around for a few hours, nap, back up and putz a little more before going back to work. It works OK until about the 3rd or 4th day then the lack of deep sleep catches up and performance goes south.

Long way around to I was joining a small display cabinet on my putz time and I know better. Normally about all I do is tool maintenance, nice mindless work that can be picked up and dropped with no problems. Anyway, yesterday I cut the dovetails and pins for the third side and they looked as if I had never seen a back saw or chisel before. I tried to talk myself into fixing 'em but the second side while acceptable wasn't as good as it should be so bottom line; The display cabinet is going to be a little smaller than planned.

I cut all the tails and sockets off, re-squared the boards, and started over....you got to know when to quit.


The offending set of tails and sockets.



A new set of tails, I'm stopping here for today. Tonight is the last night on this schedule and I'm off until the first week in Dec. I should get the cabinet finished and started on the stand unless MsOK has other plans.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that I am not alone in the universe with this problem. I've start my share of dovetails over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then there are the ones I should have re-done :-).

    Sometimes it is just easier to start over. Part of the problem was I had watched Charlesworth's video on chisel techniques and instead of trusting my saw I cut wide and tried to pare to the line. Works great for him, not so much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. charlie has been doing it a wee bit longer than the two of us together. I wonder how often he sharpened his chisels doing that video?

    ReplyDelete